- 1/2 kg prawn, cleaned but keep the skin.
- 1 litre Ayam Brand Coconut Milk
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tbsp coriander, crushed
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 ginger, crushed
- 1 cm galangal, crushed
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- Salt as needed
- Butter a baking dish and butter all slices of bread on both sides.
- Arrange the first layer of bread. Sprinkle with half of the dates and half the toasted coconut.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, orange zest, sugar, vanilla and coconut milk together. Pour 1/3 of the mixture over the first layer of the bread.
- Next, layer the remaining slices of bread. Sprinkle with the remaining coconut and dates. Pour the rest of the egg mixture.
- Press the bread down gently until it is fully soaked.
- Oven bakes for 20 to 25 minutes at 180°C until it is set. Insert a sharp knife or toothpick to check that it is not too moist or too dry.
- To serve, simply scoop some onto a plate and scatter with fresh cream or chocolate sauce.